[Swan] Help configuring libreswan with XAUTH, NSS and remote clients (road warriors)

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Sep 18 17:45:10 EEST 2014

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Enrico Brunetta wrote:

> I suspect it’s a routing/firewall issue, but I’m stuck trying to figure it out.
>
> As I stated originally, I had configured the VPN gateway on AWS to use pre-shared key like this:
>
> my machine’s IP is 172.31.48.104
>
> I wanted the l2tp to use 172.31.48.129 for the local IP and an IP range pool of 172.31.48.130-172.31.48.254

I would really recommend keeping the native IP and the L2TP IP pool
different or else all the machines involved are going to have a really
hard time figuring out when to arp or when to use IPsec.

> conn vpnpsk
>  connaddrfamily=ipv4
>  auto=add
>  left=172.31.48.104
>  leftid=54.84.104.104
>  leftsubnet=172.31.48.104/32
>  leftnexthop=%defaultroute
>  leftprotoport=17/1701
>  rightprotoport=17/%any
>  right=%any
>  rightsubnetwithin=0.0.0.0/0

Don't use rightsubnetwithin or leftsubnet if this is L2TP because L2TP
at the IPsec layer is a host-to-host protocol. Within that layer you
will get assigned a new IP address via xl2tpd/pppd.

> I think now that l2tp is out of the question, I might have to change my fw rules?

It seems you're still configured for L2TP. I really recommend using
XAUTH instead, see:

https://libreswan.org/wiki/VPN_server_for_remote_clients_using_IKEv1_XAUTH

We are working in extending this to IKEv2, which means Windows will also
be able to use this type of configuration. L2TP is really dead
technology.