[Swan] no connection has been authorized with policy=PSK

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Sep 3 22:39:43 EEST 2014

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Bob Miller wrote:

> I hope this is just me being stupid; I built and deployed a new firewall
> for a client over the weekend (using 3.9), and testing it today I am
> getting error message:
>
> but no connection has been authorized with policy=PSK
>
> Sep  3 10:27:19 firewall pluto[10302]: packet from 199.247.177.61:500:
> initial Main Mode message received on 207.189.234.30:500 but no
> connection has been authorized with policy=PSK
>
> I am pretty sure, based on prior experience and doing a bit of checking
> on the web this morning, that the authby=secret line is supposed to
> authorize the connection with policy=PSK.  Am I in error?

The error message is somewhat misleading. There is something else that
is not matching, but it is only telling you one of the major match
requirements (authby=)

> conn rw-l2tp-psk
>   type=transport
>   authby=secret
>   left=199.247.234.30
>   leftnexthop=207.189.235.254
>   leftprotoport=17/%any

That should be leftprotoport=17/1701

>   right=%any
>   rightprotoport=17/%any
>   rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
>   auto=add
>   pfs=no
>   dpddelay=30
>   dpdtimeout=120
>   dpdaction=clear
>
> root at firewall:~# cat /etc/ipsec.secrets
> 207.189.234.30 %any : PSK "mysecret"

Shouldn't this have 199.247.234.30 listed?
If this is the only connection on the server
you can also do:

: PSK "mysecret"