[Swan] [Openswan Users] XAUTH not receiving/computing password

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Aug 26 21:24:40 EEST 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Nels Lindquist wrote:

>>> pontus:$apr1$G/Yn3NSQ$xBq7LyNNYCBc0COKWM6Dj0:roadwarrior
>>
>> So $apr1$ is not standard crypt(), it is apache specific:
>>
>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/misc/password_encryptions.html

> Would/Should this have any impact on using pam with XAUTH?  I'd prefer
> to do that myself, if possible, and I'm experiencing the same issues
> on CentOS 6 that Remy and Pontus are on CentOS/RHEL 7.

No. It only involves file based authentication. the "error 7" as far as
I can tell comes from a missing "session" line the /etc/pam.d/pluto
file, as pam does two calls. One for password authentication and one
for session authorization. I believe this last one fails when you see
the "error 7".

But I still need to confirm this by setting up a rhel7 machines and test
this.