[Swan] Cisco vpn client forces 1des encryption which libreswan not support

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Jul 14 17:21:54 EEST 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, peter at krajci.sk wrote:

> In cisco vpn client you cannot change encryption settings. It should
> negotiate autmatically one of both sides supported methods, but it does not.

If it send smore then just 1DES, that's fine and we will pick another
transform.

> 5      08:59:19.441  07/14/14  Sev=Warning/2	IKE/0xE300009B
> Invalid SPI size (PayloadNotify:116)
> 6      08:59:19.441  07/14/14  Sev=Warning/3	IKE/0xA3000058
> Received malformed message or negotiation no longer active (message id:
> 0x00000000)

That just means an old attempt is tried again. it's harmless.

> 7      08:59:24.927  07/14/14  Sev=Warning/2	IKE/0xA3000062
> Attempted incoming connection from 192.168.110.53. Inbound connections are
> not allowed.

That seems to be a rejection. If it really does not like unbound ones,
can you generate some traffic behind the cisco so the cisco initiates
the tunnel on demand?

> So libreswan do not work with cisco vpn client group authentication. I will
> try it with certificates and let you know if it work.

Group authentication usually means PreSharedKey, and not
RSA/certificates. You would need to specify this in your configuration,
eg: rightid=@[GroupName]

The [brackets] are needed on Cisco to user opaque identifiers of type ID_KEY_ID.

You put the preshared key in ipsec.secrets with that identifier as well.