[Swan] IKEv1 and a lost UDP packet

Kevin Wilson wkevils at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 21:25:24 EEST 2013

Hi,
Thanks, Paul!

Now I get to the point which try to understand and I am not sure about
it at all.

I saw in many places on the web that they say that IKEv2 is more
reliable than IKEv1;

For example,  in http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/097.pdf:

"IKEv1 and IKEv2 both run over the unreliable UDP protocol, but IKEv2
adds retransmission and acknowledgement functions, so it is more
reliable than IKEv1."

Is it true to say so ?

 Is using the backoff algorithm as you described with trying forever
at 40 is less reliable and less robust than waiting for ACK in IKEv2?

Best Regards,
Kevin

Kevin