[Swan] How to build libreswan 3.4 from source?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri Jun 28 06:01:09 EEST 2013

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | From: Greg Scott <GregScott at infrasupport.com>
> |
> | In the openswan days, building from source was pretty straightforward:
> |
> | tar zxvf openswan-{version}.tar.gz
> | cd openswan-{version}
> | make programs install
> |
> | But libreswan seems to have a dependency on an nss package.  Which makes
> | sense I guess.  But there are a bunch of Fedora 18 RPMs that start with
> | nss*.  Which one(s) should I go get?  Or is my life simpler just
> | grabbing the latest 3.3 RPM - but what dependencies does the RPM have?
>
> If you are using Fedora, I think that there are usually up to date
> RPMs available (I haven't checked).

Yes. libreswan 3.3 (which is identical to 3.4 apart from the code style
changes) is in fedora 18 already. yum install libreswan should work.

> You want to be using the RPM system because you can get into trouble
> mixing RPM with non-RPM.
>
> If you want to make changes, start with a source RPM.

Yes, and you can use our packaged spec file:

cp libreswan-3.x.tar.gz ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES
tar zxvf libreswan-3.x.tar.gz
rpmbuild -ba libreswan-3.x/packaging/fedora/18/libreswan.spec

It will tell you which nss sub packages you need to install for building
it.