[Swan] initial thoughts on uncrustifying libreswan

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 24 20:52:50 EEST 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 08:43:29PM +0300, Tuomo Soini wrote:
> I'm against all exceptions. I won't talk more about this issue but my
> state is clearly - We discussed about using Linux CodingStyle - if that
> is what we want I wouldn't make exceptions - I'd go with pure kernel
> style.
>
> There are lots of discussions in net about different coding styles and
> everyone has "better" style.
>
> I'd end this discussion with a vote - if we go to kernel coding style -
> then we go - that's mostly done for 3.4 already - result is not prefect
> but it's better than what we had which was total mess.
>
> So the question is: are we going to kernel coding style which is well
> defined and clear or do you want to build your own another coding style.
>
> If we go with kernel coding style which is most used coding style in
> the linux world we have clear advantages - there are lots of ready
> scripts to guaratee proper style and editors have pre-defined macros
> for this style.
>
> If we end to build new style like the old "pluto" style we are
> re-inventing wheel again.
>
> I won't start any fight about the matter but I suggest that everybody
> just state their opinion on this.
>
> If you have better, READY style to use, then we can vote which one to
> use but there is no idea to develop another coding style for fun -
> that's not fun as I see it.
>
> Currently I'd just vote for Kernel coding style because we don't have
> anything better - nobody has yet defined better alternative.

I like the kernel coding style, except for my issue with not always
requiring braces due to it causing bugs in my experience.

The kernel style certainly is among the most efficient at not wasing
lines.

And yes having Lindent ready to use, not to mention checkpatch and other
handy tools, existing editor configurations, and being consistent with
kernel style when doing kernel modules (if klips still does kernel
modules, I haven't used it in a while).

--
Len Sorensen