[Swan] [libreswan] libreswan on GCE(Google Compute Engine) CentOS 6.3 instance (#3)

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 21:02:02 EET 2013

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, T.J. Yang wrote:

>       We are basically trying to unload kernel modules. Would "lsmod" be better?
>
> lsmod also try to cat out /proc/modules file which got removed purposely.

hmm okay. I'm not sure I agree removing /proc/modules gains security but
okay :)

>       Can we access /sys/ ?
>
> yes.

Ok so we can detect the presence of the code, but it means we will be
trying to unload modules that might have been built inline.

Does /proc/modules simply not exist? Is there _any_ way to tell the
kernel supports module (un)loading ?

> [root at ks3c63 ~]# ipsec _stackmanager stop
> NETKEY IPsec stack could not be cleared
> Opening /proc/modules: No such file or directory

As I thought.

>       We cannot use the config file to determine the stack, because the admin
>       might have changed the protostack= in /etc/ipsec.conf and that's the
>       reason for restarting. So we always try to unload either stack. Since
>       they cannot both be loaded at once, if we find netkey, we don't have to
>       look for klips and vice versa. But if you run "stop" on a stopped
>       system, we end up needing to check for both. We do that now by looking
>       at /proc/net/pfkey and /proc/net/pf_key.
>
> no /proc/net/pf_key, only pfkey file.

Yes, you are using NETKEY which gives /proc/net/pfkey. The KLIPS stack
provides /proc/net/pf_key.