[Swan] strncpy doesn't do what many people think that it does

Wes Hardaker opensource at hardakers.net
Fri Feb 15 17:02:32 EET 2013

Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> writes:

> That's what init systems are for. To restart crashed daemons. Aborting
> at the first unexpected internal state leads to the best core dumps for
> debugging....
>
> So I kinda like asserts. Just returning and logging will get ignored for
> years....

For production servers, it's evil.  Imagine multiple users that all have
a perfectly working tunnel up to pluto, eg, and one user comes along and
causes an assert.  No amount of init system auto-restart will help the
other users you've just taken down.  Yes, they can reconnect.  So can
the broken user.
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/