[Swan] tabstops

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.ca
Fri Feb 15 04:19:31 EET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 04:24:19PM -0800, Hugh Daniel wrote:
> To: swan at lists.libreswan.org
> Cc: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com>
> Subject: Re: [Swan] tabstops
>
>   Emacs will read and ask to process some very carefully formatted
> comments at the beginning and ends of files to set local editing
> conventions or what not.  In this case it's trying to say TAB is evey 4
> column and otherwise use the defaults from "pluto" if you have them
> somewhere (basically a macro function).
>
>   While I personally find the TAB mess true insanity, for DECADES a tab
> ment every eighth column in WAY more then just Unix, and I have stuck
> with that not because I like it, but it was very very standard.  Frankly
> these days I just make very wide windows when I need them.
>
>   For general education here is the page on what Emacs can do:
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/LocalVariables
> 	# Both forms are described on this page
>
>   Sadly I am going to have to suggest that rather then get into a time
> wasting argument, for the 10,000'th time, that someone(!) needs to just
> DECLARE one or the other of the two major solutions (always 80 chars
> wide code & tabs are every 4th column vs. try for 80 chars wide code,
> wider if needed, and every 8th column tabs) standard for our project.
>
>   I am not sure what the rest of the Linux Kernel is using, but it seems
> likely we should use that, even if it seems silly to some of us.

	http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle

	http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5780

Your patches will likely not be accepted if you don't adhere to it.

The *SWAN kernel code isn't likely to make it into the kernel any time soon, so
it isn't as critical, but I strongly favour the existing kernel coding style
because it is so well understood for the body of code to which it is linked.

Henry Spencer is often quoted in this context...

	http://www.maultech.com/chrislott/resources/cstyle/indhill-annot.html

>   The tools are such that conversion is trivial these days, emacs can do
> it in it's sleep. In fact you _could_ have your editor show you the code
> in which ever format you like and then always convert to the project
> standard as part of the check in process, which is why I am rather blase
> on the subject any more.
>
>   How often do we really need hand crafted core formatting any more?
> Remember this code will likely outlive both your current notions of good
> style AND you! Just like all that dammed COBOL code with BCD data
> fields...
>
>   Oh and hi folks!

Oh, hi }{ugh...

> 		||ugh Daniel

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!