[Swan] tabstops

Hugh Daniel hugh at road.shiphouse.net
Fri Feb 15 02:24:19 EET 2013

To: swan at lists.libreswan.org
Cc: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com>
Subject: Re: [Swan] tabstops

  Emacs will read and ask to process some very carefully formatted
comments at the beginning and ends of files to set local editing
conventions or what not.  In this case it's trying to say TAB is evey 4
column and otherwise use the defaults from "pluto" if you have them
somewhere (basically a macro function).

  While I personally find the TAB mess true insanity, for DECADES a tab
ment every eighth column in WAY more then just Unix, and I have stuck
with that not because I like it, but it was very very standard.  Frankly
these days I just make very wide windows when I need them.

  For general education here is the page on what Emacs can do:

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/LocalVariables
	# Both forms are described on this page

  Sadly I am going to have to suggest that rather then get into a time
wasting argument, for the 10,000'th time, that someone(!) needs to just
DECLARE one or the other of the two major solutions (always 80 chars
wide code & tabs are every 4th column vs. try for 80 chars wide code,
wider if needed, and every 8th column tabs) standard for our project.

  I am not sure what the rest of the Linux Kernel is using, but it seems
likely we should use that, even if it seems silly to some of us.

  The tools are such that conversion is trivial these days, emacs can do
it in it's sleep. In fact you _could_ have your editor show you the code
in which ever format you like and then always convert to the project
standard as part of the check in process, which is why I am rather blase
on the subject any more.

  How often do we really need hand crafted core formatting any more?
Remember this code will likely outlive both your current notions of good
style AND you! Just like all that dammed COBOL code with BCD data
fields...

  Oh and hi folks!