[Swan] tabstops

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Feb 14 23:09:31 EET 2013

The source code seems to be written with two different ideas of where
the tabstops are.

- every 8 columns, as per UNIX standard

- every 4 columns, more convenient for nice indentation.

The result is that there is no setting that lets you see all the code
properly indented.

I think that every 8 columns is a better choice because that is a UNIX
standard.

(I still think that the unit of indentation should be 4 columns.  That
means that spaces have to be used for some of the indentation.
Annoying.)

I don't know what comments at the end of some but not all files means
to EMACS.

/*
 * Local Variables:
 * c-basic-offset:4
 * c-style: pluto
 * End:
 */

In my editor, typing Tab does not enter a tab character into the file.  It
moves to the next indentation, which may involve putting tabs and spaces
into the file.  I don't know about other editors.

The Python people have given up on tabs and want all indentation to be
accomplished using spaces.  I'm not in favor of that but I can see its
merits.