[Swan] Aggressive mode not possible with Juniper Netscreen

Elison Niven elison.niven at cyberoam.com
Thu Jan 10 16:12:20 EET 2013

Hi,

I am facing this issue with Juniper netscreen :
https://www.openswan.org/issues/1218

Issue occurs only when Netscreen initiates the tunnel.

Looking at the tcpdump capture, I see this :
Netscreen ---> Libreswan

Aggr Mode(unencrypted) --->
	<--- Aggr Mode (unencrypted)
Aggr Mode(unencrypted) ---->
	<--- Informational (Error : We expect encrypted packet)

Netscreen is behaving wrongly here.

I also tried out the same with Netscreen and a Fortinet device.
Interestingly, the same scenario works here.

Netscreen ---> Fortinet
Aggr Mode(unencrypted) --->
	<--- Aggr Mode (unencrypted)
Aggr Mode(unencrypted) ---->
Quick Mode (encrypted) ---->
	<---- Quick mode (encrypted)
Quick Mode (encrypted)
	<---- Quick mode (encrypted)

I am wondering how it is possible to establish Phase 1 aggressive mode
when the responder has sent just one packet !

Is there any extension to aggressive mode that Libreswan needs to
incorporate?

--
Best Regards,
Elison Niven