[Swan] Running KVM test cases, was Re: Who changed parser.l ????

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Jan 9 07:43:01 EET 2013

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Wes Hardaker wrote:

>> Those are tests in testing/scripts/readwrite*
>
> The problem is that those tests read a file, attempt to write stuff back
> out but don't actually check that what is read in is what is expected to
> have been read.  IE, when something goes wrong you wouldn't know it
> unless it dies badly (as opposed to incorrectly reading the data).

They used to do that with the "unittest" command I believe. But that was
entangled in the uml system. These tests need to get cleaned up, so you
are right that the "verification" part is currently missing. They should
be simply written to read the file and write it, then diff the two, with
perhaps stderr also checked for any changes in messages.

> (and mildly-difficult to write, so I understand why its not there, mind
> you...  I'm just expounding for more testing.  I've come to believe,
> over the years, that there is never 'too much testing').

Agree!