[Swan-dev] Libreswan 5.0 RC1 Suggested Documentation Fixes

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Jan 15 21:43:15 EET 2024

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024, Bill Atwood wrote:

> I suggest the following changes to README.md:
>
> 1. Under the heading "Building for REM based systems", line 3.  "spce"
> ->  "spec"
>
> 2. Under the heading "Compiling the userland and IKE daemon manually in
> /usr/local", the first line is "make programs", which returns an error
> message:
>      "make: *** No rule to make target 'programs'.  Stop."
>
> Note 1: the INSTALL file in the same directory suggests "make all".
>
> Note 2: this error was reported to swan-dev on 2023-09-13, and a response was
> sent by Andrew Cagney to the list on 2023-12-19, reporting that many of my
> suggestions had been addressed, but clearly this one has not (or at least it
> was not fixed before RC1 was released).

Those should be in RC1?

commit 7312fe13a454e81b167c83d85d1e6dab33777906
Author: Andrew Cagney <cagney at gnu.org>
Date:   Tue Dec 19 11:46:39 2023 -0500

     documentation: more README.md tweaks

     apparently code examples need two or four spaces

commit d87729ad3093db431290eb5aa7ed9271f26408e4
Author: Andrew Cagney <cagney at gnu.org>
Date:   Tue Dec 19 10:27:55 2023 -0500

     documentation: update README.md and INSTALL

     - change INSTALL to just point at README.md
     - fix (hopefully) some of the code indents
     - adjust paragraph breaks
     - drop reference to KLIPS
     - add more to security section

     TKS to Bill Atwood for some notes.

These were made on Dec 19, where as 5.0rc1 was cut on Dec 12.

> 3. Further down under the same heading, it says:
> "Run `ipsec verify` to determine if your system misses any of the
> requirements. This will also tell you if any of the kernel sysctl values
> needs changing."

Also has been fixed since.

So these fixes will all be in rc2.