[Swan-dev] Comments/Suggestions for Libreswan Documentation

Bill Atwood williamatwood41 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 22:56:22 EEST 2023

Applicable to version 4.12 tarball

In README.md

1. For Debian/Ubuntu, the list of packages required includes "xmlto",
which installs 95 packages, requiring 726 MB.  Is it really necessary to
install all of these?  It seems unlikely to me that Libreswan needs a
complete TeX system, for example.  It seems possible (from other
reading) that this requirement is only necessary if the man pages are
being built.  However, attempting to do "make base" when xmlto has not
been installed results in an error message.  Is there a way to satisfy
the needs of a base-only install, without installing all of xmlto?  If
this is so, a note to this effect, or a revised makefile and
instructions, would be useful.

2. Under the heading "Building for DEB based systems", the first line
starts "The packaging/Debian directly is used".  The word "directly"
should be "directory".  (Note that this error was reported previously
(on 2023-08-06), and the README.md file on the GitHub site has been
fixed, but this fix appears not to have propagated to the 4.12 tarball.)

3. Under the heading "Compiling the userland and IKE daemon manually in
/usr/local", the first line is "make programs", which returns an error
message:
     "make: *** No rule to make target 'programs'.  Stop."

(Note: the INSTALL file in the same directory suggests "make all".)

In man ipsec.conf(5)

4. In the section "CONN PARAMETERS: GENERAL", under the parameter
"left", it explicitly says that "IPv4 and IPv6 IP addresses are
supported".  However, I can find no IPv6 addresses in *any* of the examples.

5. Under the parameter "left", it says, " The value can also contain the
interface name, which will then later be used to obtain the IP address
from to fill in.  For example %ppp0."  For IPv6, which address will be
used?  An IPv6 interface will typically have several valid addresses.

6. More importantly, if the user needs to specify an IPv6 Link-Local
(LL) address, the interface name MUST also be given, because IPv6 LL
addresses are unique only on a single medium, and it is not possible to
tell which interface to use from the IPv6 address itself.  (A typical
IPv6 LL address would be specified as fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%eno1.
This is going to conflict with the present semantics for %eno1.)

7. Under the parameter "leftsubnet" (and others later on), it says "any
form acceptable to ipsec_ttosubnet(3)".  However, when I do "man
ipsec_ttosubnet", on a system where the "man" pages have been installed,
I am told that there is " No manual entry for ipsec_ttosubnet".