[Swan-dev] memory: in clone_bytes() don't call memcpy(,,0)

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 03:22:01 EEST 2022

On Thu, 1 Sept 2022 at 18:51, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> | From: Andrew Cagney <cagney at vault.libreswan.fi>
> |
> | New commits:
> | commit ba30451878021e304e510cfc3adc1493bd41a31d
> | Author: Andrew Cagney <cagney at gnu.org>
> | Date:   Thu Sep 1 14:24:46 2022 -0400
> |
> |     memory: in clone_bytes() don't call memcpy(,,0)
> |
> |     undefined; fix github #836
>
> I don't understand this change.  It prevents calling memcpy when
> the size would be 0.

Libreswan was calling:
   memcpy(pointer, NULL, 0)
per Riastradh's comment on #pkgsrc: 7.1.4 Use of library functions
`Each of the following statements applies unless explicitly stated
otherwise in the descriptions that follow: If an argument to a
function has an invalid value (such as...a null pointer, or...), ...
the behavior is undefined.'

Based on past experience, testing .len>0 is more robust than
.ptr!=NULL and, as a bonus, eliminates the pointless:
  memcpy(pointer, "", 0);
which can happen when dealing with hunks pointing into strings.