[Swan-dev] get rid of getnetbyname() /etc/networks?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun May 2 22:16:20 UTC 2021

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>

| > Subject: [Swan-dev] get rid of getnetbyname() /etc/networks?

| kill it :)

Done.

| Related, there are still a few places that end up calling
| gethostbyname2() which is also obsolete and does not work for IPv6:

In what way does it not work for IPv6?

I admit that it is clumsy having to call it twice if IPv4 and IPv6 are
both acceptable.  I don't know when that happens, but the code
contemplates it.

| lib/libswan/ttoaddress.c:       struct hostent *h = gethostbyname2(p, af);
|
| programs/showhostkey/showhostkey.c:     gethostname(qname, sizeof(qname));
|
| The case in ttoaddress.c is the main one. Since it is used by
| ttoaddress_dns() which is used in many places, we cannot replace it
| with an async libunbound call. And to do a sync unbound call, last I
| looked at this years ago, we would have to start another libunbound
| context which gets its own cachce. Also, it would mean people can no
| longer compile without libunbound. I guess the best fix would be to
| rewrite it to use getaddrinfo() or res_ functions?

The best thing would be to actually have every resolution come with a
timeout for the answer.  The resolution would need to be repeated after it
expired.  Unfortunately, that would require a serious restructuring.

Maybe, if there are multiple resolutions, we need to create multiple
tunnels.  But that way lies madness.