[Swan-dev] GSOC Project: Extend RFC-7427 to support EdDSA

Rishabh Kumar cs19mtech11026 at iith.ac.in
Wed Mar 17 20:19:15 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am Rishabh Kumar, a Master's student from the Indian Institute of
Technology, Hyderabad. I am working on the proposal of the project idea "
Extend RFC-7427 Signature Authentication support to IKEv2 with EdDSA
support". I have gone through the codebase of past GSOC projects where the
support was added for RSA and ECDSA and I have two queries in this regard,

1. Through EdDSA, we can sign messages of arbitrary size so prehashing of
the message is not required. Also, prehashing is not recommended. Is there
any use case where an EdDSA version with message prehashing would be
required or should libreswan support only the version without prehashing.
2. Since libreswan is dependent on NSS for algorithm implementation, EdDSA
support has to be added in the NSS itself. Would it be fine if I start
working on this. Maybe add this feature in NSS before GSOC.

Regards,
Rishabh

--

Disclaimer:- This footer text is to convey that this email is sent by one
of the users of IITH. So, do not mark it as SPAM.