[Swan-dev] style issue

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 16 15:23:38 UTC 2021

| From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>

| I've now started changing this and a big motivator is so that I can
| write address expressions more naturally, and just like you suggest.

Great!

I did not look at the history, only the code.  Sorry.

Since I only used the code as an example, this doesn't change the points
of my message.  However, without an example, the points might not apply to
any actual code.

| However I'm not about to beautify the code while doing this:
| - eliminating variables is what compilers live for

I'm not talking about making code better for compilers, I'm talking
about making code better for programmers.  In particular, programmers
who need to understand the code in the future.

| - it makes the diff easier to read
| - it makes merging the next change easier (making these changes is
| easy, testing is a pita)

Yes, testing is a pita.

The end-point should be the cleanest code that's practical.

| (so please don't start beautifying this code).

I did not. I said: "I'm not just jumping in to "improve" the code."

| Ah the irony.

I.e. you are cleaning up the code and I'm squawking about an
intermediate step?