[Swan-dev] Test Suite: speed effects of hardware differences

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jul 1 13:23:07 UTC 2021

I have two similar machines for running tests.
- ThinkCentre M93p Tiny
- i5-4570T CPU @ 2.90GHz (Haswell generation)
- as far as I know, all available firmware updates for security (i.e.
  slowdowns)
- Fedora 34 (arrived at by many upgrades)

They differ in:
- the first has a 2.5" HDD and 16G of RAM.
- the second has a SATA SSD and 8G of RAM

A complete kvm-check took
- on the first  6:10:46 elapsed time
- on the second 5:25:39 elapsed time

The first system takes about 14% more time than the second.

I suspect that the majority of the effect was disk speed.
I would have guessed that disk speed would have mattered more.