[Swan-dev] what is INTERFACE_IP / ifaceip / interface-ip= for?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:33:12 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 11:06, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 03, 2021 at 11:54:30AM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Jan 2021, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: [Swan-dev] what is INTERFACE_IP / ifaceip / interface-ip= for?
> >
> > > I suspect it has something to do with XFRMI.  As best I can, in the
> > > current code, it is simply being passed to up-down scripts as
> > > INTERFACE_IP=...?
>
> Yes the idea was to add that IP address/prefix to the xfrm interface.
> The unfinished feature is inherited from VTI model(possibly hack?). In VTI
> the IP address was added in updwon script. In xfrmi, I would like to add the
> IP from pluto using netlink calls, c functions, instead of calling external
> command "ip". This way the pluto can ref count how many connections share
> interface or IP address. In the VTI model two connections with same
> interface-ip address could be an issue. Bringing up two two connections
> could work, we need a bit shell script to ignore the error from "ip" address
> exist.
> However, when one connection goes down, the shell script would delete the ip
> address. Then the remaining connection would loose the ip address.

So it's an address/mask so the CIDR's host-identifer can be non zero
vis: ::1/127.

What restrictions are there on the address?  The parser accepts:
but then later, INTERFACE_IP is only exported when the address isn't
::/0.  If ::/0 isn't allowed then it should probably be rejected when
parsing the config file.

I'm guessing vti ip is the same.