[Swan-dev] tasks for 4.5

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 14:54:00 UTC 2021

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 at 10:19, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> | From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>
>
> | Around the 4.5 release I'd like to put forward making  a few pervasive
> | changes.
>
> I don't know all the logisticsl
>
> | When I say around I mean that period around the release during which the
> | mainline is pretty much frozen.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> | before:
> | - s/TRUE/true/ s/FALSE/false/
> |   If this is done just before the release patches to 4.5 won't have to
> deal
> | with it.
>
> Yes!
>
> If a tool will handle it, be a little more careful:
>
>         s/\<TRUE\>/true/g
>         s/\<FALSE\>/false/g
>
> GNU sed seems to handle this:
>
>         $ echo 'x x xx' | sed -e 's/\<x\>/y/g'
>         y y xx
>
> Yes, it isn't trivial.  For instance, TRUE and FALSE embedded in strings
and comments probably shouldn't be touched.
The hack I tried anchored things a little by using ' = TRUE;' for instance.

> | after:
> | - add ikev1 to all the ikev1 test names; and ikev2 to all the ikev2
> | test names
>
> (Broken Record) "ikev1_" is too long.  We should systematically use
> "v1_" or something else concise.  For test names, "1_" should be OK.
>
> When can we ditch ikev1 code and make this moot?  I thought we'd long
> passed our original target.

I consider the test names to be public facing.   Hence, I don't think using
ambiguous abbreviations is useful.
Besides being able to glob *ikev1* is going to be far more robust than
globbing *1_*.

Oh, my money is on ikev3 arriving before we eliminate ikev1 :-)