[Swan-dev] testing and unstable dns

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Mon Apr 19 15:53:01 UTC 2021

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 08:33:18PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> BTW, I took a look at swan-prep --dnssec.  As best I can the big difference
> between namespaces and KVM is when the config files are installed:
>
> - with KVMs the nsd and unbound directories are set up before the test is run
> (during transmogrify)

transmogrifying once is not a best solution for unbound and nsd.
some tests can modify the config files. So next test may start with a wrong
file.

I think the swan-prep should to copy fresh config files every time.

> - with namespaces, the nsd and unbound directories are set up as part of some
> interesting mounts by swan-prep
>
> would things be more straight forward if, for namespaces, the directories were
> set up behind the scenes before the test starts (I'm mainly thinking of those

the namespace directories and files, which are bind mount, should be setup
in swan-prep.  especially because we want to restart inside a vm(east or
west..) manually, inside a namespace, without resetting the all namespaces
of a test. So I think we should leave those tasks in swan-prep. It should
not be in namespace test runner.

I feel it would be sad to see if you move swan-prep into several shell
scripts, instead of fixing swan-prep.