[Swan-dev] Bogus "established IKE SA" messages

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 01:52:42 UTC 2021

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 at 21:14, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
> >       It's simpler.
> >
> >       1) We realise we want to delete a child sa
> >       2) we send the delete
> >       3) we delete it
> >       4) we get a response, but we cannot find the child sa SPI
> >

> > Yea, that's too aggressive with deleting the incoming channel.  I'm
> pretty sure the initiator should:
> >
> > - delete outgoing channel
> > - send delete
> > on receipt of response
> > - delete incoming channel
> > - delete child state
> >
> > otherwise we get the responder sending packets that have nowhere to go
>
> But then an IKE SA needs to be clearly marked as "may only receive
> informational delete confirmation". Eg if the responder sends a
> CREATE_CHILD_SA or MOBIKE or something, we need to refuse to process it.

If it is the IKE SA being deleted, yes.  How to correctly implement this
part of the IKEv2 RFC makes for an interesting read.

> Currently, we have no way of marking an IKE SA state as such.

It is technically a gap.  But one where the current strategy of
fire-n-forget is kind of sort of close enough
(one place where it clearly hurts is with re-transmits - no IKE SA means
they don't happen)