[Swan-dev] {left,right}rsasigkey2=...

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Wed Sep 23 06:18:34 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 04:14:34PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Regardless of the end, a line like:
>    leftrsasigkey=
>    leftrsasigkey2=...
> will always add public keys like:
>    (generated?) leftid / leftrsasigkey
>    (generated?) leftid / leftrsasigkey2
> to the list of raw public keys.  Left will then try all raw public keys
> matching <id>.
>
> The problem is that the above aren't tied to "left".  Any connection, provided
> the id matches, will use the raw public key; and sometimes use the wrong one.

while it might be tempting to see this as a problem that need fix also
consider pluto design of PSK secrets and possibly for certs too? They are
all global. Ah, also xauth secrets, pam... PSK is global for sure. Once it
is there any connection can use it. May be certs and intermediates got
"fixed" they are per connection now. Previously it was not.

> Are there any ideas on how to extract us from this quirky mis-feature?

I would be careful when attempting to fix it only for leftrsasigkey=.
Consistancy across all authentication methods is good. If you think of using
PSK per connection, think of backward compaitability too.

I think I ran into the same when adding IPSECKEY from dns to pluto global
pubkey store. I recollect OE assume the pubkey store is global and not per
connection.