[Swan-dev] Pluto UDP Send/Expect String

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Sep 7 16:35:47 UTC 2020

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020, Matt Gurtler wrote:

> Hi there, we’ve installed Libreswan on a Rhel7 host and have the ipsec service running on UDP port 4500. Am trying to run a nagios check_udp command from another host to make sure it’s running. The check_udp command requires a send and an expect string. I’m not sure what those would be for this service and was hoping you could help me there? Thanks!

This is very tricky as it depends on configurations. For example, if you
have a static IP to IP tunnel, the nagios server with a different IP
will not be able to send anything and get a reliable response. You
could try netcat/socat send a similar packet, although you would
also clutter the logs with errors

I would do something like "ssh root at ipserver ipsec status" as test.