[Swan-dev] testing/utils/kvmresults.py has a problem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Sep 3 21:21:53 UTC 2020

| From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>

| So why is that log file so big?
|
| Hmm ..., TCP. Hmm ...
|
| perhaps you need the custom kernel with the upstream tcp fixes?

| > -rw-rw-r--. 1 build build         278 Sep  3 03:27 RESULT
| > -rw-rw-r--. 1 build build           0 Sep  3 03:27 nic.console.diff
| > -rw-rw-r--. 1 build build        1738 Sep  3 03:27 east.console.diff
| > -rwxr-xr-x. 1 build qemu       656477 Sep  3 13:21 east.pluto.log
| > -rwxr-xr-x. 1 build qemu  34470761890 Sep  3 13:21 road.pluto.log

Notice the timestamps.

All tests had finished about 9:00.

I didn't run testing/utils/kvmresults.py until about 13:00.  That's when
kvmresults crashed.  Plenty of time for the log to grow between 9:00 and
13:00.  I don't actually know if the logfile was growing all that
time, but it would be hard to write that much in the timeslot allotted
to a single test.

I don't understand why machines don't get rebooted.  That would surely
stop this.

| I suspect that's more of a symptom.
|
| The following would have happened:
|
| - road booted
| - pluto started and tests run
| - pluto on road left running and, presumably, spewing log messages
|
| even though, pretty much immediately, kvmrunner tries to load the log
| file, it's already too late.

I didn't notice that kvmrunner had a problem.  Would you like me to
look?

| First shutting down road likely wouldn't help.

Why not?

I don't know/remember how to shut down the VMs via ssh so I stopped
things by rebooting the host.  (My test machine is at home but I'm
not.)