[Swan-dev] use @IPSECBASEVERSION@ when going to 4.x dev cycle.

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 15:41:11 UTC 2020

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 at 09:47, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020, Tuomo Soini wrote:
>
> >> There were thoughts about removing IPSECBASEVERSION alltogether, and
> >> setting it now to something like "4.1dev".
> >
> > Just 4.1 - the next version
>
> That would be misleading though, you would see 4.1-gXXXXXX, thinking
> it is post 4.1 ?

Yes.  Same applies to 4.1dev.  It minimally suggests there's a 4.1
branch and probably a 4.1 release.  Basic problem is that the tag is
trying to predict the future.

Perhaps the first thing to do is look at the release process itself.
Currently it drops a tag.  Should it instead cut a short lived branch?
 How do other projects deal with this?

(btw, kvm uses testing/web/gime-git-branch.sh and deals with hairy
edge cases because HEAD in the repo-under-test may may be detached)