[Swan-dev] 182 "westnet-eastnet-ikev2" #2: STATE_PARENT_I2: sent v2I2, expected v2R2 {auth=IKEv2 cipher=AES_GCM_16_256 integ=n/a prf=HMAC_SHA2_512 group=MODP2048}

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Wed Mar 11 05:09:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:51:06AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> I'd like to change this log message as follows:
>
> - change #2 (the CHILD SA) to #1 (the IKE SA)

good idea

> - drop "STATE_PARENT_I2: "

It sounds like bad idea to rush this change. An identifier without spaces is
easy grep.
If you use shorter ones and if those words are repeated else where in the
debug log it would be hard to grep too. IKE_AUTH on its own may sound good.
However, when searching IKE_AUTH there are other matches in debug log it.
That makes it harder to grep and count etc.

example "exchange type: ISAKMP_v2_IKE_AUTH (0x23)"

> thoughts

make a proposal, make full proposal with state stories and other related
bits text we need. Otherwise it feels we will keep changing too many times.

This is where we got stuck in the last iteration of such a similar attempt.
https://libreswan.org/wiki/IKEv2_Child_SA