[Swan-dev] better name for {left,right}ifaceip?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Jan 28 11:11:29 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Swan-dev] better name for {left,right}ifaceip?
>
> General comment:
>
> We have way too many options.
> We cannot lightly delete any that have been advertised in a release.
> Has iface-ip been advertised?

It hasnt been advertised yet, as I described in my previous posting.

A more lowlevel choice to be made for this option is whether it should
be a left/right option or not. We also had a long discussion about this
that did not leave everyone happy.

Since ipsec-interface= is not left/right, I did not think the iface-ip
option should be left/right either. But if we were to replace the leftvti=
option with it, it would have to be.

If we leave alone all vti options (whether they all stay for a while or
are removed), and we dont consider iface-ip= to obsolete that left/right
vti option, it makes more sense to use ipsec-interface-ip= so that it is
both not left/right just like ipsec-interface= is not, and it makes it
clear the -ip option only relates to ipsec-interface= and not to vti or
anything else.

Note we already have vti-interface and curl-iface so we are already
inconsistent with the word :( But at least those are easy to create
aliases for so we can advertise a single consistent keyword.