[Swan-dev] expirimental : ipsec device/interface aka XFRMi

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Jan 22 21:32:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020, Antony Antony wrote:

>> As no other people are weighing in, I'll stop objecting provided the
>> parser crashers are resolved.
>
> thanks! lets give the new idea a shot.

That's not how API's really work. Once we have it, we cannot change it anymore :(
That is why I was trying to resolve this situation before release.

> The crasher is gone since this afternoon. another xauth error appeared.
> https://swantest.libreswan.fi/s2/v3.28-1496-g02dec310b1-testrun-xfrmi/xauth-pluto-27/OUTPUT/road.console.diff

I have seen this. It seems to be a race condition sometimes.

> Is it from glibc?
> As far as I see it is in kernel-headers-5.4.7-100.fc30.x86_64  If the kernel
> and headers match IFLA_XFRM_IF_ID will be defined.
>
> grep IFLA_XFRM_IF_ID /usr/include/linux/if_link.h IFLA_XFRM_IF_ID,
> IFLA_XFRM_IF_ID
>
> dnf provides /usr/include/linux/if_link.h

Sure, if you want to wait for RHEL9 that will be useful. But if you want
to run a newer kernel, you cannot just install a newer kernel-headers file
because the glibc installed is compiled against the old kernel-headers. so
then you also need to recompile glibc. So then no one can install just a
new kernel, like from the elrepo repository, and compile libreswan.

Since we are only adding a value, it is safe to define it ourselves.

> you can't ifndef check, it is an enum. which means you would need something
> like

Oh right. That's why I hadnt done it in the past. thanks for reminding me.

> https://github.com/libreswan/libreswan/pull/212/commits/9126ec99ca9e136666cbba5b48a8a02cb11350e0
> https://github.com/libreswan/libreswan/pull/212
> which we are resisting so far?

Yes we cannot do that without cross compile complications.

We could add a USE_XFRM_HEADER_XFRMI?=false that people can set to true?

> One concern is if we add a local defination for this enum and compile on
> CentOS7,  at run time on old kernel dragons way be woken up:) Try compiling
> with enum defination and run it on CentOS/RHEL 7 or old Fedora.

Well, that should give something like NOTIMP ? :P

I'm okay with a manual flag to add. That way we can put the compile
error in the FAQ with the workaround.