[Swan-dev] udpfromto()

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri Feb 21 15:25:58 UTC 2020

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | commit 4b6ae4c757c85bbca12e048ab9eec7f7cce586b0
> | Author: Andrew Cagney <cagney at gnu.org>
> | Date:   Thu Feb 20 16:31:28 2020 -0500
> |
> |     server: delete udpfromto.[hc]
> |
> |     It was added in 2005 (I suspect to support ::/500) with the comment:
> |
> |         we do not do anything with *to* addresses yet... we will.
> |
> |     It's now 2020 and we still don't do anything with the TO address.
> |     Since the code is IPv4 only (and annoyingly LGPL instead of GPL) I've
> |     removed it.

I didn't realise the code didn't do anything....

> Pre-historical note:
>
> All sockets were bound to a paricular IP address and port.  So "to" is
> known based on the socket.  I don't see why it needs to come from
> udpfromto.

> Paul and others have suggested binding sockets to 0.0.0.0.  I don't
> think that that has happened yet.  When it does, something like
> udpfromto might be more interesting.  Or it might not.

Not yet, but I still think that is a good idea to do.

Note that I reached out to the original author(s) of the code and we
have permission to use it under the GPLv2 license, if we decide to
put it back in, including any updates made to the code within
freeradius.