[Swan-dev] kvm-install speed up run git commands on host

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Mon Sep 9 19:38:50 UTC 2019

Hi Andrew,
this disagreement escalated with 8b77b407eea. I committed optional
variable ADD_GIT_DIRTY=true to get --dirty back. Its default is "false"
cae06e797508 . I thik default should the true. any one else has an opinion?

--dirty is important for me and I guess it savedi also Paul many times.
However, he may swing towards saving 30 seconds of his life argument and
agree dirty is not necessary. I am not always using kvm and 9pfs.
On namespace and docker the saving is one or two seconds with --dirty. Those
seconds are likely to save many potential  mistakes without --dirty.

<rant>
It is sad to see your commit remove --dirty feature. To me you are imposing
your personal favorite as default overruling a what others think is good
principle to have.

I am a bit surprised to see this commit in spite of explanations on the IRC,
and what, to me, seemed was an agreement to leave it alone.

Since it only affect few people, may be a handful, it quickly turns to
matter of personal taste. Not much point in arguing over it.

Do keep in mind soon we are likely to move to namespace testing for single
test like "make base kvm-install kvm-test
KVM_TESTS=testing/pluto/basic-pluto-01" there the saving is 1-4 out 15 - 30
seconds to run a test vs 2+ minutes now.
</rant>

regards,
-antony