[Swan-dev] remove pfkey checks from pluto and startup scripts

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri May 3 17:12:10 UTC 2019

| From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>

| Since it is not necessary we could remove it from pluto.  Also tests by
| Steffen noticed compiling kernel with pfkey use quite a bit extra cpu.

Are you saying the
	compiling the kernel with pfkey uses more CPU (unlikely)
or
	running a kernel compiled with pfkey enabled uses more CPU?

| His observation was pfkey_send_new_mapping use "3.69% of my cpu cycles".  So
| I think it is worth removing pfkey completely.  e.g this could happen when
| the NAT mappings for ESP change, pfkey_send_new_mapping is wasted cpu
| cycles.

What is pfkey_send_new_mapping doing?  Is it correlated with anything
libreswan is actually doing?

If libreswan isn't really using pfkey, and nobody else is, it's
surprising that it would eat CPU.