[Swan-dev] CentOS 6 "implicit declaration of function ‘printf’"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jun 18 15:55:42 UTC 2019

Sorry, I was addressing this subject before I read this message.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, Antony Antony wrote:

| From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>

| A while ago, while many of you  were busy pushing 3.28 release an annoying
| warning/error crept in, travis test reported it only on CentOS 6. As I
| recollect, it was discarded as not important on IRC. I thought I will drop
| an e-mail about it.

Yeah.  We're good at ignoring things in any medium.

| The proposed fix is disable all warnings, WERROR_CFLAGS= for CentOS or older
| compilers. I wonder if there is a better fix for it.

For sure.  The "implicit declaration" warning message is one that we
really need to treat as an error because it indicates a breakdown that
will cause strong type-checking to be disabled.  Also, implicit
declaration of a varargs function is just wrong.

| And also curious what
| triggered this, the commit is shuffling include files around. I could not
| figure which line is causing warning.

It a philosophy change :-)

When I structured Pluto, I decided that certain headers were so
pervasive that they could be #included in one central header,
reducing the clutter in each individual source file.

This guiding idea is gone.  I don't know what the replacement guiding
idea is.

After all, "printf" should mean the same thing wherever it is used.
It is true that there are some places where it should not be used:
not every context has stdout hooked up in a meaningful way.  I'm not
sure that it is meaningful in lib/libswan/addr_lookup.c.

In any case, #include <stdio.h> should be pervasively available
(except for kernel code, I guess) so snprintf(3) is available.