[Swan-dev] odd error only on ppc64 on rhel6

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Sun Jun 16 17:46:06 UTC 2019

Thanks Paul for bringing this up again.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 01:14:08PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:

> > | Is there a way to rewrite the code not to trigger this issue. The
> > | advantage is that we than don't need to track special gcc option
> > | passing to various builds we do.
> >
> > I tried to explain twice: I expect (but haven't tested) that this flag can
> > be passed to GCC on every build we do.  Not just old ones.

Hugh,
which flag do you mean? the actual flag seems to be lost? Atleast I can't
find it.

There was an earlier discussion
https://lists.libreswan.org/pipermail/swan-dev/2019-May/003226.html
As re-collect you wrote "-Wno-missing-field-initializers" is not a good
idea?

It is in docker-targets.mk, which is used by travis testing make scripts.
I think, I added it to compile on CentOS6 and I didn't really understand
what I am doing:) However, CentOS is broken [1]

NOTE:
We have travis that compile #master on various distributions.  If you need
something tested on various distributions, only 64bit atm 32 bit compiling
is on my wish list, please send an explicit request with a patch. I can do
it pretty quickly and show you there result publically on the travis web
site. I am sure Tuomo can also do it if you make it easy for the testers:)

The scripts and hooks to compile on various distributions, on your own
server are in the master.
I guess a better writeup about this would be nicer! Currently it is hidden
in docker test suite documentation, only semi automized.

I am curious about initializer issue because it has been taking too much
time from me. My guess is other people on the list are also confused about
it. May be one alternative is we decie not to support CentOS6?

PS: googling about -Wno-missing-field-initializers pointed me to 1998
references, see  the links in the second message on this thread.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1538943/why-is-the-compiler-throwing-this-warning-missing-initializer-isnt-the-stru

Paul: the initializer issue is not a one line change. Once you fix the one
you noticed, more warnings like that will show up.

-antony

PS:
[1]
https://travis-ci.org/antonyantony/libreswan/builds/546142308
/home/build/libreswan/lib/libswan/addr_lookup.c:67:6: error: implicit declaration of function 'printf' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      printf("found peer %s to interface %s\n",