[Swan-dev] testing: remove set -x from web-targets.mk

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Mon Jul 29 20:50:42 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 04:20:24PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 15:58, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:

> > commit

> > change
> > and I

> > are

> > changing
> > > >

> > > The output as in stdout and, as illustrated above, can be captured in a
> > > shell variable, is unchanged.
> > > Can you be more specific w.r.t., the problem you're seeing?
> >
> > two issues. it is annoying to see extra output when I expect short one
> > line
> > output.
> > If we go down this path simple commands give overly complex output to read.
> > This also affected make showdebversion, make showrpmversion..
> >

> Personally, I'd only use those and related packaging targets on a clean
> tree with Makefile.inc.local empty.

well we clearly have different use cases! I use those commands very often.
It is annoying to see stdout + stderr  behave different based on other
variables in Makefile.inc.local.

here is one case.
I often login to servers, both mine and Paul's where git libreswan is
running, then look at pluto's log file for version and run
make showveresion to compare. sometimes pluto --version also. Then I know
which source tree is installed and running.

These machines typically have multiple source directories lying around.
Unless you compare the running version you would be in wrong source tree.
debugging from wrong source tree.

If paul is wokring on a directory I want to leave that alone, during my
quick test.

make showversion is used! when debugging and developing.
More than once I have noticed difference between running version and where I
start debugging, or other points me.

> second, I am using subprocess.getoutput() python function. which mixes
> > stdout and stderror! I could replace this, the first reason still stands!
> >

> That seems very frail.

from old python days! with 3.6 and later it is easier to split stdout and
stderror.