[Swan-dev] testing: remove set -x from web-targets.mk

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Mon Jul 29 18:27:00 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:31:30AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 08:38, Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > These make variables should only be expanded when web pages are enabled?
> > Per the comment:
> >
> > # shortcuts to use when web is enabled, set up to evaluate once as
> > # they can be a little expensive.  These make variable can only be
> > # used inside of WEB_ENABLED blocks.
> >

> In fact it was working.  Here's what happens in my tree using the commit
> just before the below:
>
> $ v=$(gmake showversion)
> $ echo $v
> 3.28-506-g423d0e04bd-HEAD
> $ v=$(make showversion LSW_WEBDIR=..)
> + cd .
> + git show --no-patch --format=%H HEAD
> + testing/web/gime-git-description.sh .
> $ echo $v
> 3.28-506-g423d0e04bd-HEAD
> $
>
> so I'm stumped as to why the below behaviour occurred.

I added LSW_WEBDIR this month, this explains why I started to see change in
behaviour of 'make showversion'. the commit that added set -x is old and I
wondered why didn't I notice set -x before. Thanks for the information.

'make showversion' output should not change based on other variables are set
or not! It is used by scripts.

If you still want to see verbose, we a need different way without changing
output of 'make showversion' or other targets used by scripts.

-antony