[Swan-dev] "route" vs "ondemand"

Tuomo Soini tis at foobar.fi
Thu Jul 4 15:27:47 UTC 2019

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 09:42:32 -0400 (EDT)
Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> --up plus --route makes no sense to me? Since up is add + start?

It doesn't make sense to me either - but --up is not add + start, it's
only working for already added connections.

> In terms of internals, a route is really the ondemand feature.
>
> Perhaps what we should do is change it so that we have
>
> auto=start == ipsec auto --start is conn added, routed and initiated
> auto=ondemand == ipsec auto --ondemand is conn added, routed and not
> initiated auto=add == auto=add is conn added and not routed nor
> initiated.

That's how things are now.

> auto=route is an alias for auto=ondemand
>
> This would change the behaviour of ipsec auto --ondemand from "route"
> to "add plus route".

That's exactly how it is already. I added --ondemand to auto when
auto=ondemand was added as config option.

--
Tuomo Soini <tis at foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services