[Swan-dev] kvm-install speed up run git commands on host

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 12:43:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 16:54, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:

> Here is an idea to speedup up building inside kvm when using "kvm-install"
> from what I red on IRC this would save upto 80seconds in the build.  Testrun
> could take 4hours.

It hurts when it matters and it also hurts the host (just not as bad)
- when trying to turn around a test result after (possibly) tweaking a
single .c file, vis:

   make base kvm-install kvm-test KVM_TESTS=testing/pluto/basic-pluto-01

Some time back I went through all this pain with the web code - Paul
pointed out it was crippling KVM.  From memory, the critical thing was
to drop -dirty (it's not exactly a must have) but I need to re-confirm
this.