[Swan-dev] heads up: KVM_OS->KVM_GUEST_OS; testing/libvirt/fedora30.[mk.ks}->testing/libvirt/f30.{mk.ks}

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 15:36:38 UTC 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 14:51, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 10:40:33AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > If you've something like:
> >
> >   KVM_OS=fedora30
> >
> > set in Makefile.inc.local then you should add a second line:
> >
> >   KVM_GUEST_OS=f30
> >
> > I'm going to push a change that:
> >
> > renames KVM_OS to KVM_GUEST_OS
> >   per other discussion so what this is is clarified
> >
> > renames testing/libvirt/fedora30.[mk.ks} to testing/libvirt/f30.{mk.ks}
> >   (sitting in my queue since forever) so that things like:
> >       KVM_PREFIXES = ${KVM_GUEST_OS}a. $(KVM_GUEST_OS)b.
> >   can work - with fedora{28,30} the was too long
>
> Here's my two cents on shorter file names.
> keep fedora30{mk,ks} file names. I fear increased complexity with shorter
> names together with with multiple working directories and multiple Fedora
> releases f28 and f30 in flight.
>
> I a have a feeling shorter names would be more confusing in an advanced use
> case. I am noticing complications when switching between releases, and with
> other VMs on the same host. I wonder  what else will change due to
> shortening of filename names.
>
> try to look at the full picture. This change would affect kvm base-domain
> and build domain names too?
> Then the base-domain name may become overly cryptic.
>
> e.g.
> I have in one directory:
> KVM_PREFIXES=f30w1. f30w2. f30w3. f30w4. f30w5. f30w6. f30w7. f30w8. f30w9.
> f30w10. f30w11. f30w12. f30w13. f30w14. f30w15. f30w16. f30w17. f30w18.
> f30w19. f30w20. f30w21. f30w22.

Which, with the shorter name, can finally be written as:

KVM_PREFIXES=$(KVM_GUEST_OS)w1. $(KVM_GUEST_OS)w2. ...

and flipping between OSs becomes a matter of setting KVM_GUEST_OS=...
and flipping won't keep triggering full KVM rebuilds

It will also let us have KVM_PREFIXES=$(KVM_GUEST_OS). as the default
at some point.

> from "virsh list --all"
>  -     f30w1.swanfedora28base   shut off
>  -     f28w1.build              shut off
>
> and due to a second working directory where I switch fedora28 fedora30
>  -     t1.swanfedora28base      shut off
>  -     f30w1.swanfedora30base   shut off
>  -     t1.build                 shut off
>
> I feel after this change it could look like
>  f30w1.swanf30base   shut off
>  f30w1.build
>  t1.swanf28base      shut off
>  t1.swanf30base      shut off
>  t1.build

Right.  I'm not sure how this is a problem though.
As an aside I'd like to shorten *swan*base, $(KVM_FIRST_PREFIX)base
comes to mind, later.

> VM name shortening would also increase confusion where I have other KVM
> guests on the same host. Multiple working directories and distribution is
> great.  And it comes with complexities.

Right, we've already got that problem with t1. and with east, west,
.... when no prefix is specified.  We could prepend "lsw." to
everything but then we run slam bang into the network interface's
hard-wired name-length limit (we'd have to claw back some characters
from the 192_.. suffix).