[Swan-dev] problem from IRC: confusing message and action of lost final packet

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:45:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 at 12:03, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
> > with the above two applied, here's what's going wrong (other than it's
> > IKEv1 and we're stuffed)?
> >
> > - since the IKEv1 initiator is in STATE_MAIN_I4 the IKE SA has been
> > established - any message from an earlier part of the exchange should
> > be detected and dropped
>
> Except R3 I guess, if receiving that we need to retransmit our last
> packet?

As in an R3 response packet causing the initiator to transition from
STATE_MAIN_I3 -> STATE_MAIN_R4?

Once the initiator is in state STATE_MAIN_R4 I believe they should be
dropped on the floor.

I guess there's the argument that when a main exchange is immediately
followed by a quick exchange then an R3 response should trigger
re-transmit of the CHILD SA's first quick request (rather than letting
timeouts deal with it).  But was that ever the case?

> > In IKEv2, that's easy as the Message ID is a counter.
> > What about IKEv1?  During these exchange the message ID seems to always be zero.
>
>     The message ID in the ISAKMP header identifies a Quick Mode in
>     progress for a particular ISAKMP SA which itself is identified by the
>     cookies in the ISAKMP header.
>
> So I assume that in Main/Aggr Mode it is indeed 0 ?

Here's the relevant packet's header:

| **parse ISAKMP Message:
|    initiator cookie:
|   d9 80 c6 55  02 90 0c 4e
|    responder cookie:
|   2c ab c5 c6  0f b4 78 5c
|    next payload type: ISAKMP_NEXT_ID (0x5)
|    ISAKMP version: ISAKMP Version 1.0 (rfc2407) (0x10)
|    exchange type: ISAKMP_XCHG_IDPROT (0x2)
|    flags: ISAKMP_FLAG_v1_ENCRYPTION (0x1)
|    message ID:  00 00 00 00
|    length: 332 (0x14c)

so yes for at least main mode.

> > - since the IKEv1 IKE SA is established (almost) all packets should be
> > encrypted and have integrity, yet this packet fails that so why on
> > earth is libreswan sending out a notification
>
> It seems it failed to detect it as a retransmit, and started processing
> the packet as if it was a fresh never before received packet?

Right, up to a point.

Like I noted, regardless it should have detected:

- that the packet was old - the last-received buffer is only one deep
- that the packet was corrupt - and not responded

Its pretty easy to MITM an oh-so-slightly corrupt version of this
packet and get past the last received check (see --impair
replay-encrypted / corrupt-encrypted).

> > In IKEv2 this is easy, find the SK payload and decrypt/verify as a single step.
> > What about IKEv1?  As best I can tell the process is to decrypt the
> > packet and then parse the resulting white noise looking for a HASH
> > et.al. payload to use as verification - until all that is done nothing
> > can be trusted and everything should have been dropped.
> >
> > So by pushing 'ikev1 retransmits: only save the received packet when
> > responding' I exposed the above two failings.  Reverting it wouldn't
> > be sufficient.  It would likely need some special state magic to
> > detect if/when that last outgoing packet should be re-transmitted; and
> > would still leave libreswan exposed to the above.
>
> If we are established and the message ID is 0, then we could retransmit
> the last main/aggressive packet? Once we receive a Quick Mode packet
> response (with non-zero message id) then we never need to retransmit a
> msg id 0 packet anymore.

No.

Since the initiator is in STATE_MAIN_I4 it knows that the responder
received its last outgoing packet - there's nothing left to send for
this exchange.  In fact, sending out the last packet would trigger a
re-transmit storm.

However, per above, perhaps it could send out the QUICK packet
(assuming it is ready), but that feels too complicated.

(please don't make me read the aggressive bit of the RFC :-)

Andrew