[Swan-dev] when to abort retransmits ?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:43:35 UTC 2018

On 22 May 2018 at 11:01, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2018, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> The same packet len, or the same packet?  It doesn't take much for
>> fragments to all be the same size.
>

>> Per earlier post, pluto, looking at send_recorded_v2_ike_msg() should
>> send all the fragments (unfortunately there's no debug log to confirm
>> this, just lots of same-sized sends).
>

> I don't know. I will see if I still have the logs.

I hope so.

Per my last reply, I don't think Pluto responded with fragments (or
even more is screwed up).  If it was, I think the re-transmit would
have triggered this pexpect:

pexpect(st->st_tpacket.len == 0); /* get noticed */

>> However, where pluto is screwing up is by not also checking the
>> fragment number.  It should only re-transmit on reception of the first
>> (or last?) fragment.  Sending all fragments back for every fragment
>> received is excessive.
>

> Possibly it should wait until it has received a whole list of fragments?

I've got a hack to look at the SKF payload and only respond on the
first fragment (I think we just pick one :-).

However, like the check for message IDs, it isn't ideal - I don't
think the code should be acting on the contents of the packet's header
until after it has confirmed the packets integrity.  IKEv1 does this
by checking that the re-transmit is identical to the previously
validated .st_rpacket?

>> You're suspecting that the iPhone can't decrypt the fragmented reply,
>

> No. I think it can decrypt it fine, but didn't like the content. For
> example an AUTH failure of the responder.

>> or never gets one of the fragments?  If the iPhone did receive all the
>> fragments but didn't like the auth then it should come back with a new
>> informational(delete) exchange.
>

> Depends on the kind of AUTH failure? If it is a CA it doesn't trust
> sure. But if the AUTH failed integrity, then perhaps the packet was
> mangled and it should try and get a new copy via retransmit ?

If integrity failed then, yes the packet gets ignored.

Andrew