[Swan-dev] "make deb" broken on master at the last moment before the release

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Thu Jun 28 14:02:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 03:43:07PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > On Jun 27, 2018, at 13:33, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:
> >
> > commit f2cd694bb broke "make deb" on master.
> > It is strange to see a last minute regression!
>
> It wasn’t last minute because the patch failed because the readme had
> changed. I did a test on my Debian box. When I removed the patch and
> ran make deb it worked but posssibly it thought it was done patching already?

may be the old 'debian' directory was still there? git rm only
removed it from in packaging/debian/pacthes. That is my guess.

It would have failed if your directiry was clean.
for example run "git clean -fd" before trying "make deb"
"git clean -fd" is a good practice before releasing:)

> > I think it is better to leave the patch there.
> > If someone read README.nss they can copy paste the examples.
>
> Then it needs to be updated so it works properly. It’s fine with me, although it’s a bit strange that different readme dukes are in different distributions.

I put the patch back. Though README.nss could use rewrite, for now copy and paste of the examples would work on Debian too.

The suggestion on the IRC was to use variables such as @IPSEC_NSSDIR@ and @IPSEC_DIR@ in README.nss instead of hard coded directory names. And replace the varibae during "make install".