[Swan-dev] another run, another odd failure

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jul 25 14:30:44 UTC 2018

| From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>

| I'd have to ask the same question.  Your output below which shows
| where -origin/master/ is coming from is, lets say, original.   What's
| up with git?

I would like to know!  Somehow I wandered into a part of git that I
don't understand.

There are parts of git that I don't have a mental model of and don't
know where to find a simple guide.  Cookbooks are kind of the opposite
of what I want.

Superstitiously, I think that (once) pulling from my desktop instead
of upstream set me on the wrong path.

| > On my test machine:
| >
| >         $ git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD
| >         heads/origin/master

I think that I've now fixed it via
	$ git reset --hard origin/master
	warning: refname 'origin/master' is ambiguous.
	warning: refname 'origin/master' is ambiguous.
	HEAD is now at df4ab8d34 makefiles: fix grammar of a message
	$ git pull
	Already up to date.
	$ git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD
	master

I don't know why the refname is ambiguous.  Twice.

I had previously tried this with no understandable effect
	$ git reset --hard

Now I will see if all is well.