[Swan-dev] two odd things from my last make kvm-check

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jul 25 02:15:03 UTC 2018

I ran
	make kvm-clean
	make kvm-install && make kvm-check
and came back in 6 hours to see how it was doing.
Well, it quit really early.  I had not seen this before:

:
: According to /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail your computer do not seem to have much entropy.
:
:  Check the wiki for hints on how to fix this.
:

This machine has RDRAND hardware.  Not like the machine I was asking
about last week.  But my impression is that the kernel will use RDRAND
but not count it as an addition to entropy.  I don't really wish to be
chained to my desk, wiggling the mouse, just to get entropy.

I've run the test suite over 100 times without this failure.  The test
has been in the makefile for a couple of years.

I wonder what changed.

Entropy is such a problem!  But we ought to be able to live with poor
entropy during testing.