[Swan-dev] Electric Fence

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jan 15 17:16:27 UTC 2018

Top posting just for context.

This sounds like the kind of thing that efence would catch.

I think that efence would not significantly increase the runtime of our
test suit (this needs to be verified).  It would significantly improve the
chance of catching errors like this.

It is true that we had a pool of unused mds to reduce the pressure on
malloc.  That would mean that efence would be ineffective for most mds.
I think that Andrew removed this pool.  In any case, there was a
compile-time flag to remove it.

Recommendation: enable efence in test suite.