[Swan-dev] ikev1_close_message()

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sun Aug 19 19:11:27 UTC 2018

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>
>
> | But RFC 2408 section 3.6 does mention padding for attributes:
> |
> | https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2408#section-3.6
> |
> | 	If the SA Attributes are not aligned on 4-byte boundaries,
> | 	then subsequent payloads will not be aligned and any padding will
> | 	be added at the end of the message to make the message 4-octet
> | 	aligned.
> |
> | So it seems to me that padding is appropriate.
>
> OK.  But not padding at the end of Attributes, only at the end of the
> Message.
>
> So these calls are wrong.

I agree, but the question is what interop issues would be create by
changing this? Would we break interop with our older self? Or create
interop code to deal with it? And how about all the other (now frozen)
ikev1 stacks? Would be reduce interoperability or increase it? Since
we have no known reports of interoperability failure, I think it is
more prudent to not change this anymore.