[Swan-dev] obsolete things that we still use

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 19 04:11:09 UTC 2018

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>

| On Tue, 24 Jul 2018, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
|
| > Paul (or anyone else):
| > Can you verify that these uses of obsolete keywords should go?
| > Can you fix them?
|
| done. Note that I wiped testing/scripts as it was full of cruft from
| freeswan style OE. We dont really need readwriteconf tests for each
| feature for which we have a real unit test with packet flow and all
| anyway.

Without looking carefully, I'd like to make a plea for keeping
and maintaining readwriteconf tests.

When I was hacking on confread and readwriteconf, it was nice to have
specific tests.  I would consider them unit tests.

If I remember correctly, I was able to run them quickly, without the
slow machinery of starting and stopping virtual machines.  I don't
remember how I did it :-(

The tests that do "packet flow and all" are not unit tests, at least
not unit tests of config file handling.

I have NOT looked to see which tests are

- worthless

- obsolete and in need of updating

- useful already